Sustainable Sandhills is seeking an Executive Director.
The Executive Director of Sustainable Sandhills is a full-time, salaried position that reports to the Board of Directors of Sustainable Sandhills. The Executive Director supervises the day-to-day operations of the organization.
- Facilitate the Sustainable Sandhills Board of Directors: recruit new Board members; plan and attend Board meetings; report to the Board on programs, initiatives and finances; assist Board members with their fundraising and volunteering requirements; assist the Chair and Executive Committee with Board-related duties as necessary.
- Manage Sustainable Sandhills personnel: develop and maintain personnel policies and codes of conduct; provide team members with goals and objectives; supervise personnel activities; offer support on their programs and initiatives.
- Maintain organization finances: develop and adhere to annual organizational budget; manage accounts including bank accounts, software accounts and utilities accounts; supervise payroll and tax filing.
- Perform administrative tasks such as renewing the organization’s solicitation license, submitting office lease payments, submitting contract expenditure reports and invoices, other similar duties as necessary.
- Develop and implement strategic plans that guide the direction of the organization.
- Develop and maintain relationships with contract partners and manage contract-earned revenue.
- Procure grant funding and other contributed revenue.
- Conduct fundraising campaigns and events and manage donor relations.
- Maintain the integrity of the Sustainable Sandhills brand.
- Collaborate with local municipalities, civic agencies, businesses and other stakeholders on sustainability initiatives that are designed to improve the accessibility, affordability, viability and dependability of natural resources and bolster the quality of life in the Sandhills region.
- Manage and supervise programs and projects in impact areas that include energy resilience, water quality, air quality, waste management and pollution prevention, climate-related public health education, land and wildlife conservation, sustainable infrastructure and local economic development.
- Develop and implement comprehensive outreach campaigns and events to promote the organization’s sustainability programs and initiatives and encourage residents to support and engage in sustainability.
Remote work is optional but is not required or guaranteed.
Some weekend and evening hours are required.
Some local travel is required.
The ideal candidate for the Executive Director of Sustainable Sandhills will …
- have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, environmental management/science or a related field.
- have proven experience in and a passion for sustainability projects; a thorough knowledge of sustainability concepts, trends and public policies; and a desire to affect positive change in local communities.
- have experience in personnel, project and financial management.
- have thorough knowledge of and adherence to sound business practices and ethics.
- be highly motivated to succeed and be adaptable to a dynamic professional environment.
- be an organized, personable and effective communicator and leader who fosters an environment of collaboration among personnel, Board members, community partners and the general public.
- have expertise in fundraising and procuring sources of revenue including private donations, grants and fee-for-service contracts; experience with major gift fundraising is desirable.
- have expertise in many types of outreach and communication; experience with graphic design, web design, media relations, environmental education and event planning and coordination is desirable.
- be adept at collaborating with a wide array of stakeholders including civic and military leaders, business owners, community partners and the general public.
ABOUT SUSTAINABLE SANDHILLS AND THE AREA
Sustainable Sandhills is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with a mission of strengthening communities by creating resilient environmental, economic and social resources for current and future generations. Chartered in 2005, the organization serves nearly one million residents in 11 counties in eight impact areas.
Sustainable Sandhills is based in Fayetteville, NC and serves the region surrounding Fayetteville and Fort Bragg. Fayetteville is located in central NC along the I-95 corridor, and it is the largest municipality in the region. Fayetteville has a rich history and ethnically diverse population with residents from around the world, and it is home to many economic opportunities and diverse attractions. Fayetteville neighbors Fort Bragg, the world’s largest military installation, and is close to the state capital of Raleigh and other major cities including Charlotte, Durham and Greensboro. Fayetteville is also within driving distance of North Carolina’s beautiful beaches and mountains.
Interested candidates may submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use Executive Director Position as the subject line.